Google Analytics with Firebase is a free app measurement solution that provides insight into app usage and user engagement.
To add Google Analytics to your app you will first need to sign up for a Firebase account and create a property.
Signing up for Google Analytics
Sign up for a free Google Analytics account: https://analytics.google.com/
Setting up a property in Google Analytics will also configure Firebase for you.
Creating a property
Log into your Google Analytics account.
1. Click on "Create a Property".
2. Select "Apps and web". This works for both the native app and mobile web app. Click Continue.
3. Enter the following details:
- Property name: This is the App name.
- Industry category: Choose the most applicable option for your app.
- Reporting time zone: Choose the most applicable option for yourself.
- Currency displayed as: Choose the most applicable option for yourself.
Then click Create.
Done! Your Property is set up.
Adding a data stream
Once you have created a property you are then presented with 3 platform options. iOS, Android and Web. You will need to set up each of these or just iOS and Android if you don't plan to use a web version.
Let's start with the first one. Click the iOS app button.
1. Enter the following details:
- iOS bundle ID: Please contact our team at email@example.com to confirm your ID.
- App name: This is your chosen app name
- App Store ID (optional): If your Apple app store listing is already created or live then you will have been assigned an app store ID. This is listed on the App Information Page on your App Store Connect account.
Click register app.
It will automatically begin provisioning and configuring your Google Cloud project in step 2. Click Next once it's finished and all 4 items are ticked.
2. Download the config file (GoogleService-Info.plist) and send this to firstname.lastname@example.org or your Client Success Manager. This file contains the necessary codes to add to the app build.
Then click Next.
3. The remaining steps (4, 5, and 6) have are not necessary to complete. This information is already included in the app build. Please click Next through to step 6 "Run your app to verify installation" and then click Skip this Step.
4. Your iOS set-up will now show as a data stream. Next, click on "Add Stream" and then select Android App from the drop-down menu.
5. Enter the following:
- Package name: Please contact our team at email@example.com to confirm your ID.
- App Name: This is your chosen app name
Click Register App.
6. Download the config file (google-service.json) and send this to firstname.lastname@example.org or your Client Success Manager along with iOS config file. This file contains the necessary codes to add to the app build.
7. The remaining steps (3 and 4) have are not necessary to complete. This information is already included in the app build. Please click Next through to step 6 "Run your app to verify installation" and then click Skip this Step.
8. Your Android set-up will now show as a data stream, along with your iOS stream. If you are going to have a web app as well as a native app then click on "Add Stream" and then select Web from the drop-down menu.
Please send us the GoogleService-Info.plist and the google-service.json config files. We will add the information to your app. Once your new app is live or a new version of your existing app is live it will start reporting back to Google Analytics in about 24 hours.